We are a family run business which we started in February 2012, located on the edge of Exmoor in a small countryside town called Bampton, Devon. Dean has always had a passion for wood since leaving school at 16. He followed his chosen career which led him to become a Gamekeeper by completing his Game-keeping qualification at Bicton College of Agriculture. He worked hard and worked on Game Farms and shooting estates within the South West. He worked on a variety of projects during this time involving timber construction. This ranged from dog kennel blocks to game bird release pens. He had a break from game keeping about eight years ago when he became a retained fire-fighter for Tiverton fire Station as well as a postman. He could not suppress his love for the life of Game-keeping and countryside management so he returned to this in 2005. He swiftly moved up the ranks and became head keeper of the Stuckeridge Estate in Oakford. He has thoroughly enjoyed his time there but has felt he had achieved all he could and a new start was needed. The Wooden Workshop was born.
Laura has decided to join the business venture and is set about taking on the role of financial administrator and office manager. She has returned to college and completed a business finance course to help her in her duties . She is a fully qualified Veterinary Nurse but has taken a break from this to help run the family business. On top of all this Dean and Laura have two boys Jamie and Henry who have become quite partial to helping Daddy in the workshop by becoming his young apprentices.
If you visit the workshop you will be greeted by our old springer spaniel Gypsy. She is a regular visitor to the workshop and spend her time shared between sleeping in the office and dozing in the sunshine.
We make and provide a range of carpentry services which include the following:
- Driveway / Garden Gates
- Game rearing Sections / Night Shelters and Brooder Houses
- Chicken Arks/Sheds/Runs
- Duck Houses
- Dog Kennel Block / Dog Kennels
- Stables and Field Shelters
- Tree Guards
- Log Sheds and Kindling Stores
- Summer Houses
- Play Houses
- Garden furniture
- Decking projects
- Internal or External Doors
- Restoration Projects
- External Cladding
- Internal Carpentry – skirting, door / window frames
- If you have an idea in mind then we welcome the opportunity to help you design and create any bespoke projects as Dean loves a new challenge.
Important points about The Wooden Workshop
- We are a very small team
- Our priority is to produce high grade products with attention to detail
- We are not the cheapest and we do not try to be but we can promise you, is a top quality product using top quality materials which will last for many years to come. Our small team designs the product, builds it and delivers and installs the product so that we can ensure a smooth process from beginning to end.
- Email is the best form of communication with us as we man the phones as best we can but we are unable to answer all calls due to us being on site or having machinery running. You can leave us a message and we will get back in contact with you as soon as we can.
- Lead times are given as a guide as sometimes they can run over as previous jobs take longer than anticipated. We strive to keep to the dates but sometimes there are unforeseen circumstances and weather does play a huge part in our installations.
- We are trying to be as honest as we can so you can choose whether you would like to use our services.